We’re right up against Christmas and if you’re anything like me, you’ll be in a mad frenzy of present buying, wrapping and shopping.
For anyone with anxiety, this is all on top of the way you already feel.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed, try some grounding techniques to put your head back on straight.
Grounding techniques help control symptoms by turning attention away from thoughts, memories, or worries, and focus on the present moment.
Here’s one of my favourite techniques:
Using the 5-4-3-2-1 technique, you will purposefully take in the details of your surroundings using each of your senses. Strive to notice small details that your mind would usually tune out, such as sounds, or the texture of an ordinary object.
- What are 5 things you can see? – Look for small details such as a pattern on the ceiling
- What are 4 things you can feel? – Notice the sensation of clothing on your body
- What are 3 things you can hear? – Pay special attention to the sounds your mind has tuned out, such as a ticking clock
- What are 2 things you can smell? – Try to notice smells in the air around you, like an air freshener
- What is 1 thing you can taste? – Carry gum, sweets or a small snack for this step
Let me know how you get on…
I run through grounding techniques in more detail in my ‘Overthinking’ Couch session.